10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
Have you been told you need to manage your cholesterol levels? If so, you’re not alone. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), almost 94 million Americans over 20 have a total cholesterol level above what physicians recommend.
Cholesterol is a wax-like substance produced by the liver. Too much cholesterol can build up in the bloodstream and block your organs and tissue. High cholesterol levels can also increase the chance of heart disease and stroke. This is why physicians recommend your total cholesterol level be below 200mg per deciliter.
Thankfully, cholesterol levels can be managed by following these ten tips:
Relax – Stress can cause cholesterol to spike. Make it a daily practice to find time to relax, not with a screen, but with a book or low-impact activity like yoga.
Lose weight – Easier said than done, but weight loss doesn’t have to be drastic. Aim to lose one pound a week. By dropping 10 pounds, you can lower your cholesterol by up to 8%.
Quit smoking – One study has shown individuals who quit smoking saw cholesterol levels drop by 5% in one year.
Eat more fiber – Eating more fiber makes you feel full, but just 5g-10g more a day can lower cholesterol levels. Apples, beans, oatmeal, and prunes all contain fiber.
Snack on nuts – Like fiber, nuts help prevent the body from absorbing cholesterol. The downside is that nuts can be high in calories.
Start exercising – Movement that makes you sweat can help reduce cholesterol levels. Doctors recommend a minimum of 150 minutes of exercise every week.
Choose olive oil – Exchanging butter for extra-virgin olive oil increases the intake of healthy fats and potentially reduces bad cholesterol by 15%.
Add some spice – Up to one clove a day can drop cholesterol by up to 9%. Adding spices like cinnamon, coriander, ginger, and pepper can also improve cholesterol levels.
Eliminate trans fats – The FDA has taken steps to reduce these cholesterol-increasing fats. Even so, stay away from products with “partially hydrogenated oil” on their ingredient label.
Eat wild-caught fish – Red meat is high in saturated fats. Lower your cholesterol by replacing two red meat meals with wild-caught fish, like salmon and tuna.
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- What is Credit Health Insurance?
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- Electric Car: To Buy or to Lease?
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- How are the proceeds of a life settlement taxed?
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- What Every Renter Needs to Know about Renters Insurance
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Does Uber Insurance Cover Passengers?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Weird Things Covered by Home Insurance
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- When to Upgrade Your Auto Insurance
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- What Does My Home Insurance Policy Cover?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- Are You Paying Too Much for Auto Insurance?
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustments Affect Your Taxes
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Fun Part-Time Jobs for Retirees
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 16 Tips for Keeping Your Home Secure While You’re Away
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- The Most Important Fall Home Maintenance Tasks
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Do you need $1M to retire?
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- How to Retire Early
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- Financial Planning After Saying “I Do!” – 3 Crucial Steps
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- 4 Boat Safety Precautions to Take this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- Rental Car Road Trip? Consider Buying This Coverage
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Lifestyle Changes in Retirement that Will Impact Your Finances
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- Are Annuities a Good Investment?
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Using Life Insurance in Estate Planning
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- Is Your Retirement Income Keeping Pace with Inflation?
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- 6 Factors Impacting Homeowners Insurance Costs
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Protect Your Home from Wildfires
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- How to Prepare for Retirement Considering Inflation
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- Are Personal Items Covered by My Auto Insurance Policy?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Do I Really Need Condominium Insurance?
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- The Cost of Home Ownership
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- Death and Taxes (and Insurance?)
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Aging In Place – What You’ll Need
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- What Is Road Trip Insurance?
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- Choosing the Right Homeowners Insurance
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- What to do if Your Travels Get Delayed Due to Weather or Flight Cancellations
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Critical Times in Life that You Need Life Insurance
- Is Working from Home Covered by Homeowners Insurance?
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Maintenance Checklist for the Year-End
- Stacked vs Non-Stacked Uninsured Motorist Coverage
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs in Your Retirement Planning