What to do if Your Travels Get Delayed Due to Weather or Flight Cancellations
Mother Nature holds no bounds and doesn’t care if you have an important meeting across the country or family waiting back home. Weather and other delays can ruin any traveler’s day. However, should you find yourself stuck in an airport, we have 9 tips to hopefully help you weather the storm.
Call the Airline – When delays occur, a long queue often forms at the airline’s ticket counter. While waiting in line, dial up the airline at the same time. Often you will get ahold of a reservationist before reaching the front of the line and who commonly will have more information and options available to you.
Go to the Lounge – If you are truly stuck at the airport for an extended period, head to the airline lounge if they have one. Not a frequent flyer member or cardholder? Ask an airline representative for a temporary pass for your troubles.
File a Trip Delay Claim – Trip interruption, trip delay, and trip cancellation insurance can relieve some of the financial burdens travels delays present. If your flight is delayed or cancelled, trip delay insurance can cover the cost of meals, overnight hotel room stays, transportation expenses, and the cost of unused booked hotels missed as a result of a travel delay.
Search for Alternatives – Airlines are myopic in their solutions as they can only access their own reservation system with limited access to others. Look for alternative flights on your own along with other modes of transportation which may not be as impacted by the weather such as train or bus routes.
Request Another Carrier – Although airlines can look to book you on another airline, some airlines may not appear in their systems. Using other airline websites or search engines such as Kayak, Google, or Expedia can reveal alternative options which you can request your airline to reimburse you for.
Change Your Connection – If it is your next destination experiencing weather delays, consider connecting through a different airport. Although the travel duration may be extended, avoiding delays at the next airport may well be worth the extra mileage.
Track the Incoming Plane – Airplanes do not fly strictly between two points. Instead, most airplanes fly numerous legs before returning to the same airport. This means the airplane you are waiting for likely is not flying in from your destination. Learn where your plane is arriving from, check the weather there, and track the inbound plane on your own to determine if you should make alternative plans.
Depart from Another Airport – There are certain locations when traveling by car, bus, or train to another airport may remove you from the severe weather. For example, you may be able to drive 3 hours south of a Chicago snowstorm to Indianapolis where skies are clear, and planes are departing on time.
Remember to Say “Please” and “Thank You” – During bad weather and flight cancellations, the airline representatives are likely working hard under lots of pressure. They are people too, and often have discretion on deciding who gets that extra seat or other useful resource. As you deal with your interruption, do your best to calm down and remember to show appreciation to those who are helping you. Not only is saying “please” and “thank you” free, it might help you resolve your delays faster.
Weather delays have a way of wreaking havoc on our travel plans. Travel insurance will protect your wallet from the unexpected costs while a little leg work and creativity will have you reaching your destination before others have even begun to find a solution to their travel woes.
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- What is Credit Health Insurance?
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- Electric Car: To Buy or to Lease?
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- How are the proceeds of a life settlement taxed?
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- What Every Renter Needs to Know about Renters Insurance
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Does Uber Insurance Cover Passengers?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Weird Things Covered by Home Insurance
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- When to Upgrade Your Auto Insurance
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- What Does My Home Insurance Policy Cover?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- Are You Paying Too Much for Auto Insurance?
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustments Affect Your Taxes
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Fun Part-Time Jobs for Retirees
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 16 Tips for Keeping Your Home Secure While You’re Away
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- The Most Important Fall Home Maintenance Tasks
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Do you need $1M to retire?
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- How to Retire Early
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- Financial Planning After Saying “I Do!” – 3 Crucial Steps
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- 4 Boat Safety Precautions to Take this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- Rental Car Road Trip? Consider Buying This Coverage
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Lifestyle Changes in Retirement that Will Impact Your Finances
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- Are Annuities a Good Investment?
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Using Life Insurance in Estate Planning
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- Is Your Retirement Income Keeping Pace with Inflation?
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- 6 Factors Impacting Homeowners Insurance Costs
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Protect Your Home from Wildfires
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- How to Prepare for Retirement Considering Inflation
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- Are Personal Items Covered by My Auto Insurance Policy?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Do I Really Need Condominium Insurance?
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- The Cost of Home Ownership
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- Death and Taxes (and Insurance?)
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Aging In Place – What You’ll Need
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- What Is Road Trip Insurance?
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- Choosing the Right Homeowners Insurance
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- What to do if Your Travels Get Delayed Due to Weather or Flight Cancellations
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Critical Times in Life that You Need Life Insurance
- Is Working from Home Covered by Homeowners Insurance?
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Maintenance Checklist for the Year-End
- Stacked vs Non-Stacked Uninsured Motorist Coverage
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs in Your Retirement Planning