6 Factors Impacting Homeowners Insurance Costs
Insurance is one of the few products we purchase and hope never to use. So it makes sense, then, that we try to obtain the best coverage for the lowest possible premium. But if you shop for homeowners’ insurance on your own, it may seem bewildering how far apart the pricing can be when given two similar quotes.
It is important to understand how insurance companies make money before we dig into the factors used to determine your insurance premium. An insurer’s profit is balanced between premiums received and how much is paid out for expenses and claims.
Each insurance company decides where they wish to deploy their capacity to insure property. For example, a company targeting the Midwest may offer lower premiums than an insurer who writes primarily in the Southeast, and vice-versa.
However, the amount of each premium to be charged all comes down to underwriting. The process of underwriting is a nuanced one but, in general, the following factors are impacting your homeowners’ insurance costs:
Address – The likelihood of a natural disaster in your state, level of crime in your zip code, and availability of emergency resources in your city are all underwriting factors tied to your address.
Deductible – The higher your deductibles, the lower your premiums, as you will retain more of the risk of loss than your insurance company will.
Credit History – The cost to replace potentially delinquent customers is higher than retaining those who pay on time.
Cost to Rebuild – Rebuilding costs for your home vary over time and this is subject to inflation, labor costs, access to materials, and constantly changing building codes.
Age and Condition – Older homes often require construction materials that are no longer readily available, making them more expensive to replace or repair.
Security Measures – Discounts are available for homes with security and safety systems such as smoke detectors, fire alarms, water sensors, and/or central station monitoring. The above factors impact the cost of insuring your home from physical loss or damage. It is also worth remembering that your insurance premium may be affected by specific liability exposures such as owning a pool, a trampoline, or certain breeds of dogs.
Independent insurance agents know which types of homes and risks fit best with which insurance company. As a result, they can do the homeowners’ insurance shopping for you and ensure you receive the best coverage for the most competitive premium.
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- What is Credit Health Insurance?
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- Electric Car: To Buy or to Lease?
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- How are the proceeds of a life settlement taxed?
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- What Every Renter Needs to Know about Renters Insurance
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Does Uber Insurance Cover Passengers?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Weird Things Covered by Home Insurance
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- When to Upgrade Your Auto Insurance
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- What Does My Home Insurance Policy Cover?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- Are You Paying Too Much for Auto Insurance?
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustments Affect Your Taxes
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Fun Part-Time Jobs for Retirees
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 16 Tips for Keeping Your Home Secure While You’re Away
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- The Most Important Fall Home Maintenance Tasks
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Do you need $1M to retire?
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- How to Retire Early
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- Financial Planning After Saying “I Do!” – 3 Crucial Steps
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- 4 Boat Safety Precautions to Take this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- Rental Car Road Trip? Consider Buying This Coverage
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Lifestyle Changes in Retirement that Will Impact Your Finances
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- Are Annuities a Good Investment?
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Using Life Insurance in Estate Planning
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- Is Your Retirement Income Keeping Pace with Inflation?
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- 6 Factors Impacting Homeowners Insurance Costs
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Protect Your Home from Wildfires
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- How to Prepare for Retirement Considering Inflation
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- Are Personal Items Covered by My Auto Insurance Policy?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Do I Really Need Condominium Insurance?
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- The Cost of Home Ownership
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- Death and Taxes (and Insurance?)
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Aging In Place – What You’ll Need
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- What Is Road Trip Insurance?
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- Choosing the Right Homeowners Insurance
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- What to do if Your Travels Get Delayed Due to Weather or Flight Cancellations
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Critical Times in Life that You Need Life Insurance
- Is Working from Home Covered by Homeowners Insurance?
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Maintenance Checklist for the Year-End
- Stacked vs Non-Stacked Uninsured Motorist Coverage
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs in Your Retirement Planning