Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
The consumption of meat has been a dietary staple for many seniors. It has only been in the past couple of decades; substantial evidence has been gathered suggesting people of all ages reduce or eliminate the consumption of red meat.
For all of us, including seniors, avoiding red meat could mean a longer, healthier life. Here are 10 reasons for seniors, and everyone else, to consider avoiding meat.
Lose Weight – High levels of fat found in red meat can cause people to gain weight or prevent the loss of weight in those seeking to lose pounds.
Reduce Cancer Risk – The red color in meat can damage the lining of the gastrointestinal tract making it susceptible to cancer while highly processed red meats such as hot dogs and bacon contain compounds which could encourage malignant growth.
Lower Diabetes Risk – Type 2 diabetes is often caused by obesity which can result from high consumption of fatty red meat.
Reduce Acid Levels – High acidity in the body can make it more susceptible to disease. Like cola and coffee, red meat decreases the body’s PH levels which if left unbalanced can raise overall acidity levels.
Avoid Constipation – Red meat is digested by the body slower than other foods and can cause stomach pain, bloat, and constipation.
Boost Energy Levels – The body uses much more energy to digest red meat than many other foods, resulting in depleting energy stores.
Increase Life Expectancy – Harvard researchers discovered a connection between red meat and lower life expectancy because of increased heart disease and cancer.
Avoid Bacterial Infections – Red meat requires special attention to its preparation to prevent bacterial infections from occurring due to improper cooking or processing.
Reduce Cardiovascular Disease Risk –High in saturated fats, red meat can cause plaque buildup and hardening of the arteries.
Reduce Likelihood of Alzheimer’s Disease – Inflammation, which can result from the iron found in red meat, has been linked to the development of Alzheimer’s Disease.
With all of these reasons, you can see why many people are reducing or eliminating meat from their diet. If quitting meat altogether doesn’t fit your lifestyle, you may consider simply reducing your consumption by not eating meat on certain days of the week. Even entire cities have taken steps to reduce meat consumption. Columbia, South recently made a city proclamation to officially declare Mondays “Meatless Monday”.
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- What is Credit Health Insurance?
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- Electric Car: To Buy or to Lease?
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- How are the proceeds of a life settlement taxed?
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- What Every Renter Needs to Know about Renters Insurance
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Does Uber Insurance Cover Passengers?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Weird Things Covered by Home Insurance
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- When to Upgrade Your Auto Insurance
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- What Does My Home Insurance Policy Cover?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- Are You Paying Too Much for Auto Insurance?
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustments Affect Your Taxes
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Fun Part-Time Jobs for Retirees
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 16 Tips for Keeping Your Home Secure While You’re Away
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- The Most Important Fall Home Maintenance Tasks
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Do you need $1M to retire?
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- How to Retire Early
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- Financial Planning After Saying “I Do!” – 3 Crucial Steps
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- 4 Boat Safety Precautions to Take this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- Rental Car Road Trip? Consider Buying This Coverage
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Lifestyle Changes in Retirement that Will Impact Your Finances
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- Are Annuities a Good Investment?
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Using Life Insurance in Estate Planning
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- Is Your Retirement Income Keeping Pace with Inflation?
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- 6 Factors Impacting Homeowners Insurance Costs
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Protect Your Home from Wildfires
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- How to Prepare for Retirement Considering Inflation
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- Are Personal Items Covered by My Auto Insurance Policy?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Do I Really Need Condominium Insurance?
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- The Cost of Home Ownership
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- Death and Taxes (and Insurance?)
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Aging In Place – What You’ll Need
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- What Is Road Trip Insurance?
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- Choosing the Right Homeowners Insurance
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- What to do if Your Travels Get Delayed Due to Weather or Flight Cancellations
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Critical Times in Life that You Need Life Insurance
- Is Working from Home Covered by Homeowners Insurance?
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Maintenance Checklist for the Year-End
- Stacked vs Non-Stacked Uninsured Motorist Coverage
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs in Your Retirement Planning