Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
When then the leaves drop and the snow falls, the risks to winter drivers increases. Lowered visibility, snow drifts, and black ice are just a few of the hazards to be wary of when setting out in your vehicle this time of year. To help make for a safer winter driving season, we’ve gathered the top 11 safety tips for driving in winter.
1. Slow down – Plan ahead and allow extra time to navigate slowly and deliberately to your destination, lowering your speed and likelihood of losing control.
2. Don’t stop – When possible, try to avoid coming to a complete stop to prevent getting stuck when attempting to accelerate from a standstill.
3. Accelerate slowly – Stepping on the gas may cause you to lose traction between you and the road with the possibility of losing control of your vehicle.
4. Decelerate slowly – Stomping on the brakes may have little to no effect on icy roads. Foresee the need to slow down early and reduce your speed over a greater distance.
5. Know your brakes – Antilock brakes perform differently than standard brakes. Regardless of your vehicle’s brakes, try to apply firm, steady pressure with the ball of your foot.
6. Use AWD or 4WD – All and four-wheel drive vehicles usually require you to engage the system before you start moving. Check to make sure you are in AWD or 4WD before you begin your journey.
7. Minimize distractions – This is a great tip regardless of the weather conditions, but especially so in the winter as the time necessary to avoid a collision or accident can be much greater than driving in perfect conditions.
8. Don’t use cruise control – Black ice or snow-covered roadways require quick reactions cruise control systems often cannot mimic.
9. Clean headlamps/taillights – Snow covered lights only make it more difficult to see the road ahead and for those behind to see you.
10. Prepare for your trip ahead of time – Before you depart, make sure your vehicle is in tip-top shape by checking your tires, wipers, battery, coolant, and washer fluid. Additionally, be sure to carry a shovel or broom, kitty litter or sand, jumper cables, phone charger, along with personal items such as a blanket, food, water, and medicine.
11. Check your insurance – Accidents are more likely to occur when weather conditions deteriorate. Make sure you have the right coverage for you, your vehicle, and your passengers before heading out into wintery weather.
And of course, if the weather is exceptionally poor, the best driving tip of all is to not drive at all and to stay home!
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- What is Credit Health Insurance?
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- Electric Car: To Buy or to Lease?
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- How are the proceeds of a life settlement taxed?
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- What Every Renter Needs to Know about Renters Insurance
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Does Uber Insurance Cover Passengers?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Weird Things Covered by Home Insurance
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- When to Upgrade Your Auto Insurance
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- What Does My Home Insurance Policy Cover?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- Are You Paying Too Much for Auto Insurance?
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustments Affect Your Taxes
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Fun Part-Time Jobs for Retirees
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 16 Tips for Keeping Your Home Secure While You’re Away
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- The Most Important Fall Home Maintenance Tasks
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Do you need $1M to retire?
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- How to Retire Early
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- Financial Planning After Saying “I Do!” – 3 Crucial Steps
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- 4 Boat Safety Precautions to Take this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- Rental Car Road Trip? Consider Buying This Coverage
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Lifestyle Changes in Retirement that Will Impact Your Finances
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- Are Annuities a Good Investment?
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Using Life Insurance in Estate Planning
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- Is Your Retirement Income Keeping Pace with Inflation?
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- 6 Factors Impacting Homeowners Insurance Costs
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Protect Your Home from Wildfires
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- How to Prepare for Retirement Considering Inflation
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- Are Personal Items Covered by My Auto Insurance Policy?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Do I Really Need Condominium Insurance?
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- The Cost of Home Ownership
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- Death and Taxes (and Insurance?)
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Aging In Place – What You’ll Need
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- What Is Road Trip Insurance?
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- Choosing the Right Homeowners Insurance
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- What to do if Your Travels Get Delayed Due to Weather or Flight Cancellations
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Critical Times in Life that You Need Life Insurance
- Is Working from Home Covered by Homeowners Insurance?
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Maintenance Checklist for the Year-End
- Stacked vs Non-Stacked Uninsured Motorist Coverage
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs in Your Retirement Planning